This May, Wealden is proud to be participating in the National Association of British Market Authorities’ Love Your Local Market campaign.
Over 700 markets across the UK are taking part in the campaign to raise the profile of local markets, and Wealden believes its markets are among the best in the country. To attract both new customers and new stall holders, there will be FREE promotional goods available at Wealden’s markets during May including re-useable shopping bags and badges to promote the campaign. There’s a Farmers’ Market for every Saturday of the month in Wealden: Uckfield 3 May, Hailsham 10 May, Heathfield 17 May and Crowborough 24 May; as well Hailsham Street market, and village markets at Chelwood Gate, Chiddingly, East Dean, Forest Row, Framfield, Stone Cross, Wadhurst, Pevensey Bay and Waldron: search under markets on the Wealden website for more information.
“Local markets in Wealden are booming and reflect the rich diversity of our area. They boost our prosperity by promoting local produce and crafts,” said Councillor Roy Galley, Cabinet member for Economic Development and Regeneration. “Thanks to the Council’s policy of providing free parking, these places are easily accessible to visitors from near and far.”
Following on from May’s Love Local Markets campaign Wealden’s Community Chef, Olly Dawson, will be putting on a series of cookery demonstrations making the best use of seasonal local market produce. And there will be plenty of opportunity to taste some of the delicious recipes he cooks. Cookery demonstrations will take between 10am to 12.30pm on:
- Saturday 7 June: Uckfield Farmers’ Market, near the library.
- Thurs 12 June: Hailsham Street Market, Vicarage Field, Hailsham.
- Saturday 9 August: Hailsham Market (Cattle Market site)
- Saturday 20 September: Heathfield Market, next to the Co-op.
- Saturday 27 September: Crowborough Farmers’ Market, behind W H Smith
Further reminders and details for individual markets will be available nearer the date and on the Wealden District Council website, www.wealden.gov.uk.
The range of opportunity provided by the local markets in the District is just one of the many defining characteristics of Wealden’s towns. Their profile is being raised through the Council’s Streets Ahead Project which is looking to support our market towns villages by identifying these characteristics and stimulating their potential.
The Streets Ahead Project’s main objectives are to:
- Support local high street regeneration efforts.
- Assist with district-wide joined up strategic solutions.
- Stimulate supporting economic growth.
- Improve perceptions of Wealden’s high streets.
- Position Wealden as a leader of innovative high street regeneration.
- As well as it five principal towns: Crowborough, Hailsham, Heathfield, Polegate and Uckfield; Wealden has a number of important major village shopping destinations including Alfriston, Forest Row, Herstmonceux, Horam, Mayfield, Pevensey Bay, Rotherfield, Wadhurst and Willingdon.